ELLIJAY, Ga. – A fire broke out at the Shell Gas Station located on the corner of Yukon Road and First Ave., across the street from Ingles, late Nov. 23.
The Thanksgiving night was cut short for two young males as Public Safety Director Tony Pritchett reported they had stopped for gas, and while fueling, one of the men reportedly began fidgeting and playing with his flip lighter. Unfortunately, the flame caught fumes and ignited a “flash fire.”
According to Pritchett, the blaze significantly injured one of the men, damaged the fuel pump and caused minimal damage to the vehicle they were driving. However, no details were available as to the identities of the two men as an investigation was undertaken for the incident. It was confirmed the pump shut off before the blaze could spread to other pumps and the station. However, when asked if the pump shut off automatically or if the attendant shut it off, Pritchett replied that officials would be answering details like that in the investigation.
FYN confirmed with officials that no other vehicle was on the other side of the pump or close enough to sustain damage from the fire. Though no official update is currently available as to the current status of the injured male, FYN’s understanding was that injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.