Scholarship News/Announcements from the GHS Counseling Department
The following are some scholarships with May deadlines:
- QuestBridge College Prep Scholars (for JUNIORS) – No application deadline
- Buster Bynum Education Scholarship – Application Deadline: 05/19/2017
- Why My Teacher Makes Me Smile Flax Scholarship – Application Deadline: 05/29/2017
- CoilLaw LLC Scholarship – Application Deadline: 05/31/2017
- First In Family Scholarship – Application Deadline: 05/31/2017
- SCW DREAMers Scholarship – Application Deadline: 05/31/2017
- Sessions Law Firm College Scholarship – Application Deadline: 05/31/2017
- Thomas, Webb & Willis Academic Achiever Scholarship – Application Deadline: 05/31/2017
- Tuite Law DUI Accident Scholarship – Application Deadline: 05/31/2017
- Links to all of these scholarships and more are on the GHS scholarship page at https://sites.google.com/a/gilmerschools.com/ghs-scholarship-page/home. Please check this site on a weekly basis throughout the spring semester, and fill out those applications!
This Week’s Feature: Graduation Information
2017 Graduation Information
- Decorum letter must be signed by parent and student and turned in to your advisor or the front office by Friday, May 19th! No signed letter, no participation in graduation ceremony.
- Ladies, bring or wear shoes you intend to wear during graduation to practice; better to have a trial run!
REQUIRED GRADUATION PRACTICES
- Thursday, May 25TH, 8:30-11:30 a.m., report to concession stand area at Huff Mosley Stadium; park in the stadium’s upper parking lot, not at GMS or field house. Bring your cap and gown; after practice, you will need to stay for a “parade” in your graduation regalia, so plan to stay longer than 11:30.
- Friday, MAY 26TH, AT 8:30 a.m. until we nail it. Same place, same procedures as Thursday.
- You must attend both practices in their entirety in order to participate in the graduation ceremony, so arrange your work schedule in advance.
- Graduating seniors, be at GMS gymnasium at 5:30 p.m. and should park behind GMS.
- Family/Friends, be at GHS starting at 6:00 p.m.; park at GHS or MVE parking lot and use shuttle services
- Handicapped parking must be requested in advance; call GHS
- Available for pick-up for 45 minutes after graduation ceremony OR starting Tuesday after graduation from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
- You must apply for HOPE scholarship before your last day of high school.
- Do not wait until the last minute—gafutures.org may bog down and applications not submit.
- Two ways to apply for HOPE: 1) Complete the FAFSA, OR 2) Complete the HOPE scholarship application through GSFAPPS on gafutures.org.
- You must have an active account on gafutures.org that includes your full name, DBO, SSN, and GTID.
- Full instructions on how to complete the HOPE application through gafutures are on the guidance website.
- You MUST request a final transcript or your college will not offer you full acceptance. You may do so on or after May 15th. Any transcript requested by a senior on or after May 15th will be held until spring semester grades are entered.
- Request through your gafutures.org account if you are planning to attend college in Georgia; if you are going to college out of state, please request through Parchment and click “hold for grades” (county or GHS website, the blue button that says, “Order My Transcript”).
- It is a VIOLATION OF FEDERAL LAW for GHS to release your transcript without an official request. An email is not an official request.